Nutrition & Dieting/Potassium

Is there an alternative to potassium? I am finding potassium really irritates my prostate. Anything I can replace it with?

Hi James,
Potassium is an element and it's needed by the body. There is a constant level in the bloodstream and if the level goes too low (or too high) the heart can stop!

So there's nothing you can substitute potassium with.

I'm wondering if you are taking supplements and that's what you are referring to? Supplements aren't necessary if there are fruits, vegetables and dairy in your diet.

Hope that helps!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.