Nutrition & Dieting/Weird Cravings

Hello Laurie! I started the Weight Watchers program in January and have lost about 18 pounds so far and I am quite thrilled! I've changed my diet so that I am eating healthy and eating good portions with not much added exercise and the pounds are falling off. However, I have noticed over the past few weeks I am been really craving the flavor of coffee. I have never been a caffeine addict although I do enjoy a good cup of coffee every now and then and I also drink tea. But recently the desire for the flavor of coffee has been so strong I'm actually quite surprised. I know a lot of times our bodies crave certain foods because it needs something so I was wondering if that was the case. I was also wondering if the this healthy eating and weight loss which I've never really experienced before could've caused my craving. Thank you so much for your help!

Hi Gabriella,
Congratulations on your weight loss and your new healthy lifestyle!

No one really knows why we crave the things we do. But it isn't usually because of something we need. Otherwise those kids who live on junk food would be craving broccoli and carrots and that doesn't happen!

Fortunately there isn't a reason that I know of that you can't give into the craving and enjoy a good cup of coffee.
Keep up the good work!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.