Nutrition & Dieting/Re: Multivitamins and Dietary Supplements

Question
Dear Marissa,

I am a 24 year old male and have a couple questions/concerns regarding multivitamins. Recently I've been taking "Centrum Specialist Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement with Phytosterols," Cod Liver Oil, and "Spring Valley Calcium with Vitamin D" tablets at night. I take one of each every night immediately after or during a meal. In the day I don't usually get fruits/vegetables in my system. I will have a bagel in the morning sometimes, or an apple, some tea, and then a bigger meal around 4 to 5 pm. This bigger meal usually has meat like chicken or lamb. At night I may have a smaller serving of the leftovers, or some cereal. So I don't really get that many calories in the day, definitely under 2000, probably around 1500. I am working on gaining some weight by lifting weights.

I have been reading that these Centrum multivitamins are not actually good for the body, and I run across all sorts of different reviews on these things so I don't know who/what to trust. Could you guide me in the right direction? I obviously don't want to be harming my health, I just want to get all the essential vitamins and minerals everyday I can because before I started taking these, I was likely not getting the daily recommendations of all of them.

Kind regards.

Answer
Hello Bilal,

Vitamins cannot make up for the nutrition you get from eating a whole foods diet. I would recommend making sure you eat enough food at regular intervals, including lots of fresh vegetables and fruit in season. If you're trying to gain weight, speak to your doctor about doing so safely by improving your diet and eating habits. I do not know one way or the other about the specific vitamins you're referring to, but as I said, you cannot make up for poor nutrition by taking vitamins, they are meant to be a supplement.

Best wishes,
Marissa

P.S. If you appreciate my response to your question, please make sure you leave a rating and feedback. Thank you.  

Nutrition & Dieting

Marissa Vicario