Nutrition & Dieting/Calorie intake to gain weight?

At the moment, my workout routine is as follows:
Daily 3-5 mile runs
30-40 min weight training 3 days a week
Busy lifestyle (walking, daily jobs etc.)

I am 19, 6 foot 2, and weigh 145 pounds.......basically I have a typically runners body, thin with long limbs. At the moment I intake about 2800 calories per day, and even this seems to lead to a small deficit over time. I want to be ripped, as I am very skinny, but how can I achieve this while maintaining my running? I would like to be in the 160 pounds range AT LEAST. If I upped my nutritional intake, would this help me gain some mass (muscle and fat)? What advice would a professional give?

What do you mean by "ripped?" If you mean that you want to be able to see your muscles (like a six-pack) then that's just a matter of burning off all of the fat over your abs. If you want to BUILD muscle, then you need a calorie SURPLUS. You need to take in more than you burn. Either up your calorie count or reduce your cardio. It's simple math.

Nutrition & Dieting

Richard Rost

I am happy to answer any questions from those who are overweight and want to learn how to lose weight through proper diet and exercise. I spent a year of my life studying weight loss and brought myself from 340 pounds down to a healthy 185 pounds the RIGHT way: no fad diets, pills, or crazy machines - just healthy eating and some moderate exercise. I'm happy to share my knowledge with you. I also have my own web site at

My knowledge is all practical, life experience. I spent over a year reading dozens of books, online literature, magazines, and lots of other sources. I've studied nutrition, weight-lifting, bodybuilding, exercise science, and many other fitness-related fields.

I have no formal education in fitness or nutrition. But, then again, I am a computer programmer and trainer with no formal education in my field either. I'm completely self-taught in everything I do. However, I can give you plenty of tips and pointers on how to safely lose weight.