Nutrition & Dieting/(Baby) Carrots

Question
QUESTION: Hi Lawrence, I hope you are having a good day. I have heard mixed things about the nutritional value of carrots. What are the pros / cons of eating them, and what do you recommend, including when to eat them (time of day), quantity, etc.?

ANSWER: Hi Eric

Studies say carrots kill cancer cells, are good for the eyes and the heart

Carrots may be taking on the liver if you have liver problems, to much will turn your skin color and it can interfere with diabetics meds

Recommended intake is either through your doctors  suggestions or the RDA chart located on the USDA website

QUESTION: RE: Carrots can interfere with diabetics meds - I agree if they are cooked. I heard raw carrots do not. Is this correct?

Answer
I agree and it's because when cooked the cells in  the walls break down allowing it to be absorbed into the body easily. They are also high on the glycemic index . Though they are ok on the glycemic load. I would say that in moderation they are fine. I would also say that for people taking meds they should do  some further study for their specific medication.

Thanks again, I hope I was able to give you the answer you require

Larry

Nutrition & Dieting

Lawrence Sanchez CSN, CPFC, RI, PT, TBMI