Nutrition & Dieting/Belly Fat

Question
Hi, Lawrence. I started a weight loss journey about March, 2011, my weight then being 323 pounds. At the moment, I'm 164 pounds, and feeling better than ever. My one real concern is that after losing about 150 pounds, my stomach is now looking like a deflated balloon. I mean, I want to lose a couple more pounds, but I just don't see being rid of looking fatter than I should in that area. Is there anything I can do to slim down in that specific area, or any way to change my diet to better suit my needs? Being only 19, it's a little disheartening to see my body like this still after what I've done. Thank you in advance!

Answer
Hi Joseph

First I would like to congratulate you on the weight you have lost. Joseph there are many ways to reduce excess skin from loosing lots of weight.Your personal genetics and the amount of time that your skin was in that state also play a factor. Another thing that effects the amount of recuperation that your skin is possible of is your age. I read that your are nineteen so that fact is in your favor. Joseph at your age your skin will bounce back much more then a person in their thirties or forties. Here is a list of ways to increase your skin recuperative potential.

Hydration
Nutrition
Resistance exercise
Body fat reduction
Exfoliating
Tightening creams
Plastic surgery (last resort)

All of these will assist in getting that area back to where you want it. Remember it did not take one day or three months to get that way so allow yourself ample time for the non surgical  therapies to work before even considering surgery. Joseph thank you for writing and I hope that through the discussion we had here today I was able to help you . I wish you the best and remember give the alternatives a fair chance before considering surgery.

Larry

Nutrition & Dieting

Lawrence Sanchez CSN, CPFC, RI, PT, TBMI