Nutrition & Dieting/Hello

Question
Hi, my name is Xiao and I have a dieting question. My mother won't let me use the stove because I have a learning disability so I can't cook meat or other foods which would have otherwise saved me a lot of money and allowed me to enjoy many benefits.

I want to know if this is a good diet for me:

- 1/2 pound of hummus
- 1 bowl of brown rice
- 1 bowl of mixed vegetables from wal mart (peas / green beans / corn / carrots)
- 2 eggs
- 1 glass of soy milk

Is this a healthy and nutritious diet? I am living on a budget and want to eat as healthy as possible while spending as little as possible. I live with my parents in a middle class neighbourhood but they don't give me any money for food and food is expensive here.

My main concern is protein - I always have difficulty getting the 50 grams necessary unless I am going to a family or church barbecue

The only meat I think I can eat is fish and eggs

Thanks for your help!!!

Answer
Hi Xiao.
Please excuse the late response. I have been dealing with some personal issues that take up most of my time.

In regards to your diet though it really lacks protein. Ideally you need .75-1 gram per pound of body weight.

Eggs are a great protein source and in fact one of the best naturally occurring sources. The average egg is about 6 grams or protein. If you can do 3 for breakfast that would be great.

Here are some other protein sources
-Greek yogurt
-deli turkey, chicken, roast beef
-Roasted chicken

You can buy those roasted chickens at most grocery stores and that can last you 2-3 days worth of protein. They usually average $5-8 per chicken. I think they're the cheapest at Wal Mart. You can get the chicken, 2 dozen eggs, and a Greek yogurt for about $15.00-20.00. That should get you through the week.

Use these averages too
A chicken breast the size of a deck of cards is about 20 grams protein
The same size piece of beef is about 30 (you can even buy ground beef, and its cheaper)
A cup of Greek yogurt is 20 grams
And a large egg is 6-8

Nutrition & Dieting

Tim Santoro