Nutrition & Dieting/support for weight loss

I am obese (BMI: 39.4) and really unfit. I have obesity related health problems, including shortness of breath, difficulty walking, GERD, joint problems, etc. I need to lose weight for my health. I do not have diabetes or heart disease (yet). My blood pressure and cholesterol are not alarming (yet).

Do you know where can I find support to help me stay motivated? I know that there are on line peer support sites, which I thought would be a good idea for me, but the ones I have looked at seem more for people who are losing weight to look better. I am more interested in a health focus. I think I need a person/site to whom I can be accountable who is not too 'nice' to deal with me as someone who NEEDS to lose weight.

Hi Carolyn,

First of all, congratulations on making the decision you are going to take control of your diet, your weight and your health!

Different people are motivated by different factors at different times. I know many of these weight loss assistance sites have people trying to get "more fit" or just lose a few pounds and they are in a different category from others who have more weight to lose, are older or younger, etc.

The sites all have forums where you can post questions, start a topic discussion, or find an "accountability buddy". A few of the sites my clients have enjoyed include and There are specific groups formed in these forums, like "single Moms losing weight" or retirees.
It just takes a little poking around to find people who think like you, who would be a good match for your own support group.

You might also see if there are "meet up" groups in your area ( where you can join others for a walk, a hike, or even to form your own support group (there is a fee to start your own group).

Beyond that, one of my favorite books is Judith Beck's "The Beck Diet Solution". She has a workbook that leads you through weekly thought changes to help you start thinking like a thinner person. She has you fill out notecards, for instance, to carry with you and view often so you start forming new thought patterns. Instead of receiving the same recorded message you've been hearing inside your head for 20 years ('just this one piece of cake won't matter'), these thoughts are replaced with 'I'm not hungry now, so it's not time to eat' or 'I know if I eat this now I'll feel sorry later, and if I can resist this temptation I will feel stronger and be proud of myself'. It takes dedication, but I have many clients who have told me it works for them, and it can be used on and off for years as your weight may fluctuate in the future.

I also do private tele-coaching and you can find details at my website,

I hope this helps, and I wish you success!

Be Well,

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.