Nutrition & Dieting/frozen pizza

Hi.  Can you tell me if frozen pizza always has more sodium than fresh pizza from a restaurant?  Thanks

Hi Danielle,

Thank you for your question.

There are just too many variables to be able to compare store bought to fresh made and say definitely one or the other is higher in sodium: the size of the slices, the thickness of the crust, the toppings, the sauce, etc etc.

Fortunately, it's easy now to compare milligrams of sodium per serving of whatever pizza you'd like. There are food labels on all pizza sold packaged in the US, and there are websites to tell you the sodium content of whatever pizza you personally design (see for example).

Probably the lowest you could make would be from scratch at home, using low-sodium tomato sauce and avoiding salty toppings like pepperoni, olives, and sausage.

Happy comparing!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.