Nutrition & Dieting/Weight

Hi, I was wondering what a healthy weight for me would be. I'm seventeen, 5'3, and I weigh 170 pounds. I know I'm over weight and high blood pressure run deep in my family so I really want to get weight down but I'm not sure low low I should go or how to go about doing so.

To find your healthy weight, look for a body mass index chart (Google BMI and nhlbi ... That's a reputable medical site that will help you find your ideal weight).
You might consider aiming for 140 pounds and see how you feel when you get there. You might feel better losing 5 more, or you might feel more comfortable at 145; every body is different.  

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.