Nutrition & Dieting/weight/proportion

front side
front side  

My measurements are waist 27.5" (upon waking, empty stomach) and hips 33" does that make me an apple or pear??  I'm trying to get rid of this protruding stomach. any advice??  i am on a 1800 calories diet, and am breastfeeding and cardio /weights
I weigh (no shoes) 117

Hi Andrea.

Several things.

1. you look like an apple but it's hard to tell particularly not knowing how long ago you gave birth

2. you look pretty lean. The way you are standing has a lot to do with the way your stomach pops out. Your posture (at least in that picture) is pretty bad. Stand sideways  in front of a mirror this way:   shoulders back thinking about your head being pulled to the ceiling while squeezing your glutes and pushing your pelvis forward . I will bet you that your stomach looks flatter.

3. The type of ab work you do can make your rectus abdominus grow outward as well as making your waist thicker.  Here is an article I wrote a while ago about that very subject Is Your Ab Workout making your waist bigger?

4. I wouldn't worry so much about weight because you clearly have an athletic build and are holding muscle (which is a very good thing if you want to look fit and toned instead of skinny and squishy)

5. Stop doing cardio unless it's interval type training or HIIT. Here is a blog post I wrote a while ago that explains why cardio sucks for fat loss and how to burn fat more effectively
how to burn more fat in less time

Feel free to email me with any other questions and to let me know how you're doing with your goals  

Nutrition & Dieting

Dianne Villano

I can answer any questions regarding general nutrition,exercise phys and weightloss. I specialize in science based programs to speed up the metabolism and lose fat permanently through a combination of adherence to the 6 Components. No gym science, no myths, no "opinions" no fluff just answers which will get you the results you want. All responses are based on the latest, most cutting research in nutrition and exercise sciences with a focus on Nutrition Requirements as dictated by the National Academy Of Sports Medicine. You can grab a copy of my Special Report “22 Big Fat Lies Keeping You from The Body You Want” and my revolutionary "7 Day Fat Loss Blue Print" , check out "Fat Loss University", join our facebook community or sign up for our newsletter at

MExPhys, NASM CFT , author of “How To Lose Fat & Reshape Your Body in 21 Days” and “The Ultimate Belly Blast Program”. President of Custom Bodies which has been serving the Tampa Bay with results driven, cutting edge nutrition & fitness programs for 18 years. I am a frequent speaker on health and fitness related topics with articles published in over 20 media outlets.

Tampa Tribune Tropical Views Beach Life The Island Sun A Mom's Love E Max Health Fit FAQ Fitness Motivator Newsletter Gateway To Beauty Health Bud Helpful Home Ideas International Woman It's About Women K W Nutrition Lift For Life Life Tools for Women Methods Of Movement My Parent Time Self Growth Supple City Weight Loss & Obesity Resource Center Weight Loss / Diet Portal Work At Home Mom Women Central Women's Exercise Network Yahoo Answers