Nutrition & Dieting/Calorie Reduction

Question
QUESTION: Hello Mr. Lawrence Sanchez

I am a severely obese woman in my early 30's who eats around 4000 - 6000 calories a day. My doctor told me to eat from a 5 inch bowl 4 times a day to lose weight, with one bowl containing protein, one bowl containing grain and dairy and 2 bowls containing vegetables and other products. I want to know if it would be dangerous for me to drastically increase my calorie intake in one week from 4000 calories a day to 1200 calories a day?

I plan on eating 1 cup of mixed nuts such as cashews or pistachios or brie cheese or cheddar cheese or cottage cheese  
2 cups of carrots or green peas
1 cup of rice

Am I putting myself in danger by reducing my calorie intake so drastically?

ANSWER: Jessica
Before I can answer your question I need to know some things. My advice will be based of your answers in part and some basic nutrition applied to these answers.

1. How tall are you?

2. How much do you weigh ?

3. How old are you?

4. What health conditions do you have such as diabetes,hypertension,cholesterol just to name a few?

Once you answer I can better help you.

Thanks

Larry

QUESTION: 1. How tall are you? 5"5

2. How much do you weigh? 225 pounds

3. How old are you? 30 years old female

I Have serious snoring issues and sometimes low glucose tolerance but not diabetic right now. I also wake up very dehydrated some days. I sometimes drink 1.5 litres of water after waking up in the morning. I have difficulty processing the sugars in white bread and gain weight LIKE CRAZY whenever I eat white bread. I also get extremely dehydrated when I drink soy milk - its like my body can't tolerate it. Regular milk bothers me too but not as bad as soy milk.

Once you answer I can better help you.

Thanks

Larry

Answer
Your magic number to loose weight is 1654 calories and to loose weight fast it's 1254. I would suggest you work with a doctor and nutritionist while dieting . I would start off with the 1654 for a few weeks to get used to it. I do agree with the eating 4 to 5 times a day to help your body recover its metabolism and to have food spread out through your day to reduce hunger. Their are some issues that you may experience until your body regulates itself to the reduced calories. These thing may be headaches and lack of energy and reduced bowel movements. This usually happens within the first two weeks and then subsides. As for being dangerous this would depend on any medical issues you may have. You said that you snore,that most likely do to your weight and may stop after you loose weight. You mention pre diabetic condition that you may have, this should also improve with proper eating and weight loss. The other things you mentioned are probably better off discussed with your doctor to determine their causes. Your current Bmi is 37.4  you need to get that to under 26. Any other questions feel free to write back. Remember working hand and hand with your doctor and a nutritionist is the best recommendation I can give you.

Thanks

Larry

Nutrition & Dieting

Lawrence Sanchez CSN, CPFC, RI, PT, TBMI