Nutrition & Dieting/Cant stop eating before bed :-(

Hi! I would appreciate any suggestions for my issue. I have been working the night shift, 5pm to 1am for the last few months. I am having slow but steady success with a gluten free (I am sure I am non celiac gluten intolerant) low fat lowered calorie diet. I drive for  eight hours straight, with no time for a sit down meal, but I do take a sandwhich to eat while driving. The problem is I am usually hungry when I get home, and often eat too much. This not only hampers my weight loss efforts, as I have heard that eating before bed is a no-no, but I usually wake up the next morning with nausea, which I believe is from my acid reflux. Of course the solution is to just not eat, which I am able to do on my off nights, but thats tough on my work nights. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hello Bud,

I understand your dilemma. It is very difficult to eat well and keep to a routine when your work schedule is not based around the typical 9-5pm day.  I would suggest that you try to view meals as your (1st, 2nd, 3rd meal of the day) as opposed to the standard- breakfast, lunch and dinner.  In this way you can keep track of where you need to be based on your individual schedule.  You should try to change the frame work of when and where you are eating.  Become acutely aware of your hunger and the time and place when you do eat.  Make sure you clear your house of anything that will tempt you to make the wrong choices.  There is absolutely no evidence that eating a gluten free diet is beneficial for someone who does not have celiac disease.  The acid reflux should be addressed by your physician.  However, eating before bed will aggravate this condition.  Stay away from caffeine, and spicy foods before bed.  Good luck!

Nutrition & Dieting

Stacy Ostrager, M.A.,M.S.

I am qualified to answer your questions on nutrition, medical nutrition therapy, disease management,obesity and obesity related issues. I am experienced with nutrition aspect of managing the following: Celiac disease, lactose intolerance, pregnancy, allergies, IBS, diabetes, heart disease, fitness, wellness, healthy cooking, and many more.

Over 20 years in premier hospitals, consulting and private counseling practice for nutrition.

New York State Dietetic Association, Long Island Dietetic Association, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Center for Science of Public Interest

Masters of Healthcare Administration from Hofstra University (Hempstead, N.Y.) 1999 Masters of Science in Nutrition from Eastern Michigan University (Ypslanti, M.I.) 2012 Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration from Ithaca College (Ithaca, N.Y) 1994

NYU Medical Center, Long Island Jewish Medical Center