Nutrition & Dieting/Is it Time for Me to Start Losing Weight?

Question
Physique
Physique  
QUESTION: I'm wondering if its seriously time to start losing weight? I've always been stocky but is my weight too high?

Age:23
Height:5'7
Weight: 230lbs
Waist: 38 inches

ANSWER: Hi Devon,
Your name can be unisex but I am going to assume you are a male.

Your BMI is 36.0, indicating your weight is in the Obesity category for men of your height. A better measurement would be "body fat percentage" since although BMI is accurate most of the time, it may overestimate or underestimate body fat. For example, BMI doesn't distinguish between body fat and muscle mass, which weighs more than fat so you could be labeled "obese" because of the high BMI, when you actually have a low percentage of body fat.

It would be a good idea to visit with your physician and ask them if they feel you need to lose weight. You can also find someone to help you do a body fat test.

But unless you are very muscular from weight lifting, we can probably assume that you have excess body fat. In general, the smartest way to lose the excess body fat is to eat around 1800 calories per day for a male, exercise doing cardio 30-60 minutes per day.
Maria

Physique
Physique  
QUESTION: Yes I'm male, I'm assuming you didn't see the photo attached?

In any case I accept that I'm overweight but I'm not sure about me being obese.

What is the best way to determine that?

I'll attach the photo again.

Answer
Hi Devon,
I see the photo now. You definitely have too much abdominal fat. A body fat test is most appropriate to discern just how much you would need to lose but I can see just from your photo that there is too much fat on your abdomen.

There are two types of fat that you have in your abdominal area. The first type that covers up your abs from being visible is called subcutaneous fat and lies directly beneath the skin and on top of the abdominal muscles.

The second type of fat that you have in your abdominal area is called visceral fat, and that lies deeper in the abdomen beneath your muscle and surrounding your organs. Visceral fat also plays a role in giving certain men that "beer belly" appearance where their abdomen protrudes excessively but at the same time, also feels sort of hard if you push on it.

Both subcutaneous fat and visceral fat in the abdominal area are serious health risk factors, but science has shown that having excessive visceral fat is even more dangerous than subcutaneous fat. Both of them greatly increase the risk your risk of developing heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke, sleep apnea, various forms of cancer, and other degenerative diseases.

So, a healthy weight loss diet and exercise would be helpful Devon.
Maria  

Nutrition & Dieting

Maria Faires, RD and Certified Personal Trainer