Nutrition & Dieting/dieting issues

Hello, thank you for doing what you do.. Im a 22 year old male, when I was younger I was chubby and lost about 60 lbs via extreme dieting and excersize.  Going from 180 to 120 ( I was and still am 5'6)  over the next few years my weight fluctuated but I ate more and maintained an average weight of about 140. But after marriage and then a baby I gained alot of weight over the past two years,  going up to 167. I started heavily restricting food again but also started throwing up, which I never did before, because I don't have as much time to go to the gym. I told myself id stop once I weighed 140, im now at 133 add I can't stop, but my throat,  stomach and head hurt constantly. I have no sex drive and have a very hard time getting "excited", and when i manage to i can't finish. and I think my wife suspects something which scared me the most. Is there any advice you can give?  I'm Surrey for all the details and the length of the question.  All the best.

Hi Steve, I'm so sorry you're finding yourself in this position - did you perhaps read my page on bulmia?  <a href="" </a>  I would start by letting your wife know with a "Honey, I love you and I'm having an issue that I want to share with you that I think I might need to get some help on" approach.  Then I would find a psychologist who works with eating disorders or join an online support group and get some professional help.  Good luck

Nutrition & Dieting

Cari Corbet-Owen

I'd love to answer your questions about how to lose weight naturally --without diets, diet products and diet programs. I love to answer your questions about: intuitive eating, turning exercise into fun (instead of a chore) and how to improve your body image even before you reach some or other magical figure on a scale. Please note, that as I'm a psychologist and not a dietician, I don't answer any questions related to nutrition.

I'm a Clinical Psychologist who has researched diets and dieting and what works and what doesn't (in medical and psychological journals) for almost 2 decades. I'm the author of two books: The Mind over Fatter Program and The Joy-Filled Body: Eat! Play! Love and Live! I have written numerous articles spoken at psychological conferences, lead workshops internationally and been on TV and radio. I was a childhood dieter at 11, anorexic by 15, a frantic yo-yo dieter for 20 years before discovering that STOPPING dieting was the answer. My URL:

Have been the consulting psychologist to the South African Nutrition Experts Panel, and am on the experts panel for Shape Magazine, South African Journal of Natural Medicine and the South African Journal of Psychology.

Shape, Readers Digest, Men's Health, Glamor, South African Journal of Natural Medicine, O magazine and many many others.

Clinical Psychologist

Been nominated for 2006 and 2007 as South African business women of the year in the Health category for starting The Mind over Fatter movement. Had an excerpt of my 2nd book selected by O Magazine (South Africa) which appeared in their December 2007 edition.