Nutrition & Dieting/Adjusting to low fat diet?

My doc looked at my 'numbers' and said it was time to go on a low fat diet to lose weight and improve my heart health. Can it take months for your body to adjust to a low fat diet, especially if you are older, going from meat heavy, to one based on carbs,plant protein and very low fat meat and fish?? I am a guy that ate lots of meat for over 50 years, plus was on a low carb diet. About a week into eating this new low fat diet-BTW I am not hungry I can eat all the fat free starches I want- I was overcome with fat/meat cravings so I gave in and kind of went overboard on the weekend. I work nights (4pm to midnight, Mon-Fri) so I can stick to the low fat during the day and pretty much ignore the cravings while working, then just go to bed when I get home, but weekends are tough. I plan on sticking to it as its not that hard, I am not starving, and my BP has gone down and my belt has gone in a notch. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Barry,  low-fat diets are fine but you still have to watch out for high carbohydrates, carbohydrates turn to sugar and can increase your insulin levels. Also some type of exercise would be beneficial. As for the cravings you can add fiber to your diet and that should help to eliminate them ,but while adding fiber to your diet is good you need to drink water to flush that out. Most important is to get your vegetable intake each day.

Good luck with your diet

Nutrition & Dieting

Lawrence Sanchez CSN, CPFC, RI, PT, TBMI

I am able to answer questions in regards to losing weight, proper nutrition and exercise while losing weight,diet modification, and preparing healthy nutritious food while dieting. I can also help people by explaining the importance of BMI, BMR,and body fat. I can help people with no meat types of diets and special diets. I can help those who need information about beginning a running regimen. One of my favorite subjects to answer questions about is organic life style and whole foods.

I own Healthy Life Consultants, which is a company that helps people lose weight through diet modification and exercise. I also am the Founder and owner of the Tenchi Budo Martial Arts System and The Natural Healing Center.At the Natural Healing Center I help people through the use of Alternative Therapies and Medicines. For fun I compete regulary in running races mainly 5K'S and 10K'S. I spend much of my free time studying about anything when it comes to nutrition,alternative medicine,and exercise.

F&AM /////////////////// F.O.P.(Fraternal Order of Police) ///////////// US Coast Guard Aux. //////////// International High Iq Society

Certified Sports Nutritionist through (International Fitness Association) CI# 175491 /////// Certified Personal Fitness Chef ( National Endurance & Sports Trainers Association) ////////// Certified Master and Founder of the Tenchi Budo Martial Arts System /////////// EMT-B Certified //////////// Trinity College & University B.S.B.A. ///////// Certificate awarded in: Harvard Medical School- (Prescribing Exercise) Texas A&M University System (AgriLife Extension)- (Diet Quality & The School Aged Child), (Osteoporosis),(Developing Healthy Eating Habits in Pre Schoolers),(Controling Asthma Triggers in the Indoor Environment) and ( Little Tummies and Big Appetites-Nutrition and the Pre School Child). ////////// School of Public Health University of Albany - (Strong Bones For Life),(Microbiology),(Prison and Jail Health),and (Public Policy and Public Health) ///////// National Center For Complementary and Alternative Medicine- (Acupuncture:An Evidence Based Assessment),(Mind-Body Medicine),Herbs & Other Dietary Supplements),(Health and Spirituality),(Complementary & Alternative Medicine and Aging),(Intergrative Medicine),(Neurobiological Correlates of Acupuncture),(Studying the effects of Natural products)(Manipulative and Body-Based Therapies: Chiropractic and Spinal Manipulation) //////// Health and Nutirition ( United States Department of Justice BOP ) ////////// Basic Food Preparation (United States Department of Justice BOP ) ////////// Dietary Guidlines For Americans (United States Department of Agriculture) ////////// Effective Communication (Emergency Management Institute) /////////// Leadership & Influence(Emergency Management Institute) /////////// Nutritional Oncology ( National Training Institute) ////////// Sports Goes The Distance ( National Training Institute) ///////// LJ100 supplements ( National Training Institute) //////// Super Foods to the rescue (Natural Products Market Place) /////// O for Obesity (Natural Products Market Place)