Nutrition & Dieting/Making homemade snacks

Question
Hi Stacy! Can you give me your opinion on how making homemade snacks for your children can be healthier than buying pre-made snacks, specifically granola bars? Thank you so much!
Kelly

Answer
Hi Kelly,

I love your question because it really is something that I am passionate about. Getting your kids involved in cooking is a good idea.  It exposes them early on to taking initiative for their own food choices, gets them excited about trying new foods and it is a great way to spend time together.  Aside from saving money, making your own treats at home allows you to control what you are eating.  All of the additive ingredients that are put into snack foods to give them a long shelf life are eliminated.  You can control the amount of fat, sugar, and salt and replace them with healthy alternatives.  I like to substitute oil with applesauce and plain greek yogurt is a staple in our home.  There are so many websites that have healthy snack alternatives.  One in particular is Kids Eat Right.org.  

I hope this answers your question.  Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.  

Nutrition & Dieting

Stacy Ostrager, M.A.,M.S.