Nutrition & Dieting/'Recovery Days'

I am 56. Finally starting to see slow but steady weight loss on the low fat diet with daily exercise my doc put me on in January. However, I seem to have one day a week, usually Wednesday for some reason, when I am ravenous and cant stop eating, and my body tells me "no exercise today". Is this natural and do other people encounter it? It probably sets back my progress, but two steps forward, one back, eh?

Hi, first congratulations on making positive lifestyle changes to reach your goals. Giving yourself  "permission" to take a break from your normal routine is completely understandable. Its a good idea to allow your body to recover. Cheat days should be reserved for special occasions. That means if you have reason to celebrate then eat dessert. The idea is to be aware of what you are doing and understand that the next day you need to get right back down to business. I don't think that this will hinder your weight loss goals if you are diligent and be persistent. Don't give up because you have had a minor setback. You are only human and even those of us (ahem) that are the "experts" make the "wrong" choices now and again. Move forward and pick up from where you left off. Good luck and healthy regards.

Nutrition & Dieting

Stacy Ostrager, M.A.,M.S.

I am qualified to answer your questions on nutrition, medical nutrition therapy, disease management,obesity and obesity related issues. I am experienced with nutrition aspect of managing the following: Celiac disease, lactose intolerance, pregnancy, allergies, IBS, diabetes, heart disease, fitness, wellness, healthy cooking, and many more.

Over 20 years in premier hospitals, consulting and private counseling practice for nutrition.

New York State Dietetic Association, Long Island Dietetic Association, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Center for Science of Public Interest

Masters of Healthcare Administration from Hofstra University (Hempstead, N.Y.) 1999 Masters of Science in Nutrition from Eastern Michigan University (Ypslanti, M.I.) 2012 Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration from Ithaca College (Ithaca, N.Y) 1994

NYU Medical Center, Long Island Jewish Medical Center