Nutrition & Dieting/BMI Vs Body Fat Percentage

Question
Hi! :) I am wondering, what is the best mthod to know when you need to lose weight? I hear body mass index isn't the best way but not sure of body fat percentage? I'm 4'11, 114 pounds, body fat percentage is 24% I think last time I checked. Is it better to go with body fat percentage than checking your body mass index?

Answer
Hi Kelly -
BMI is what the insurance industry uses but as it was hi-jacked by the pharmaceutical company - it's not at all reliable, nor is it accurate if you have a lot of muscle.  % body fat is a more accurate measure - but the only % body fat measure that is truly accurate is when it's calculated hydrostatically which is terribly expensive and not very easy to find.  You don't say how old you are, whether you are a female or male - so I'm going to send you a link to a few articles that I think might help you:

Your optimal body
Fit or Fat

And if you are a woman - please remember that at times like puberty, pregnancy and menopause you need a vastly higher percentage body fat than usual.  

Nutrition & Dieting

Cari Corbet-Owen