Nutrition & Dieting/Breakfast Choices

Question
QUESTION: Hi Stacy,

In your opinion, which would be more nutritious for breakfast: (1) oatmeal, or (2) corn flakes with strawberries, blueberries and banana?

Thanks,
- J

ANSWER: Hi,

I would like to answer your question but need more information.  How much oatmeal are you eating? How is it prepared? With milk? Sugar? Anything else added to it?  Are you eating the corn flakes with any milk? How much? What percentage?  There are lots of variables that make this difficult to answer based on the facts provided.  If you are able to please send more details. Thank you.

QUESTION: Hi Stacy,

Thanks for getting back to me. To answer your questions: The amount of oatmeal would be about a 2 cups to a bowl. Organic corn flakes are Nature's Path Heritage Crunch which has 6g sugar. No milk, no sugar added to either scenario. I have a high metabolism. average weight, so calories aren't an issue.

- J

Answer
The oatmeal has more fiber so is probably the "better" choice.  However, neither is a "bad" choice.  Adding lowfat milk to the cornflakes would give you extra protein and calcium.  Nobody likes to eat the same thing everyday.  Switch it up and you can be sure that you are getting all of the nutrients you need over the course of a week.  

Nutrition & Dieting

Stacy Ostrager, M.A.,M.S.