Nutrition & Dieting/Breakfast Choices

Question
QUESTION: Hi Lawrence,

In your opinion, which would be more nutritious for breakfast: (1) oatmeal, or (2) corn flakes with strawberries, blueberries and banana?

Thanks,
- J

ANSWER: Oatmeal. There is way less sugar in oatmeal then corn flakes. The carbs you receive from the oats is also better then the ones you received from sugary Corn Flakes

QUESTION: And, in your opinion, would oatmeal be more nutritious than the strawberries, blueberries and banana? (And is there an oatmeal you'd recommend?)

ANSWER: I would say that if you combined the oatmeal with some sort of fruit it would make it a very good breakfast choice. As for nutritional value they both are good and together there perfect. Seperatly fruits have vitamins, minerals, fiberous material and carbs and some have fat now on the other hand oatmeal has carbs ,fiber, and protein. Oatmeal brands I like organic brands more.

QUESTION: So it sounds like a breakfast of oatmeal would be a wiser choice than a breakfast of corn flakes+strawberries+blueberries+banana. Do I understand correctly? (I couldn't stomach oatmeal + fruits. And I would need the corn flakes in order to ingest the fruits.)

Thanks again!
- J

Answer
I would go with the oat meal. Though I find the three fruits with the corn flakes delicious , the oatmeal has little to no sugar and fat which I find to be more attractive and oatmeal tends to leave most people full for longer which is a good thing if your watching your weight. The difference to which is healthier to me is less sugar and less fat is healthier thus oatmeal is my pick.. Now when I made my choice I am making the assumption that you are eating plan oat meal and sugared cornflakes. Even if they where not sugar dusted corn flakes there would still be to much carbs and sugars for my taste.

Thanks for writing
Larry

Nutrition & Dieting

Lawrence Sanchez CSN, CPFC, RI, PT, TBMI