Nutrition & Dieting/Requirements

Question
QUESTION: I would like to create a diet for myself but don't know the nutritional requirements. Is there a reference to how much of all vitamins, antioxidants, proteins, healthy fats, omega oils, etc a person either needs or can benefit from and how often? I'd like to write my own diet for a week of 3 or 4 meals a day. I want to be as inclusive as possible to really take care of myself. This includes different types of proteins, and vitamins. Not just assuming they're all the same from all sources. Know the best reference? I will look into the foods myself.

ANSWER: Hi, I would recommend using the RDAs as your guide. This is the Recommended Dietary Allowances that is sufficient to meet the nutrient requirements of up to 98% of healthy people.It is issued by the U.S. government under the Department of Health and Human Services. One site that you can refer to is the National Institutes of Health. Hope this helps you to get started off on the right track.  Healthy regards.

QUESTION: Does it include foods nutrients that are particularly good for the heart and anti-inflammatory for the whole body?

Answer
Hi James,  for specific recommendations on foods I would try the following websites: the American Heart Association, The American Dietetic Association or Choose My Plate. gov.  These are reputable agencies that can provide you with scientifically backed information. Thank you.  

Nutrition & Dieting

Stacy Ostrager, M.A.,M.S.