Nutrition & Dieting/CALCIUM CONTENT IN MILK VS YOGURT

Question
I keep hearing yogurt has more calcium han same amount of milk.Where does this extra calcium come from?
Rgds
Alex

Answer
Hi,  You are correct.  Yogurt does contain more calcium than milk but only by a small percentage.  This may be due to the fact that yogurt has slightly more phosphorus, magnesium and potassium. It also provides 115 IU of Vitamin D (one cup of fortified nonfat milk).  While yogurt may be a better source of proteins it contains more calories and more sugar so the nutritional content of milk is a better choice.  The other thing to consider is the fact that yogurt varies between different brands and flavors.  Look at the nutrition label so that you can choose one low in sugar.

Thank you

Nutrition & Dieting

Stacy Ostrager, M.A.,M.S.