Nutrition & Dieting/weight loss

Premiergist wrote at 2015-09-23 18:18:29
1. Weigh yourself and chart it. Each morning, weigh yourself on a digital scale and log it immediately. Your weight, of course, will fluctuate from day-to-day, and your sense of accomplishment or disappointment shouldnít hinge on your daily weight. However, your weight can be used as a useful feedback system to see what youíre doing right and to motivate you. Iíd recommend using the trend-oriented spreadsheet used in the Diet.

2. Plan your meals. This is probably the No. 1 thing you can do to lose weight. First, use a calorie calculator to estimate how many calories you need to maintain your current weight. Now, if you want to lose a pound a week, youíll want to cut that total by 500 calories per day to hit that goal (3,500 calories equals a pound of fat). If you want to lose weight slower, you can cut your total daily calories by less. I wouldnít recommend more than a pound a week.

3. Plan healthy snacks. Just as you plan your meals, you should plan your snacks. See the above item on allocating your daily calories to snacks. Instead of just snacking on whateverís available, or rushing to a vending machine or convenience store when you get really hungry, you should plan to have healthy snacks in between meals. Fruit, veggies, yogurt, dried fruit and similar snacks are all good choices.

4. Find lower-fat alternatives. Take your favorite foods and find lower-fat alternatives. If you love burgers, for example, you can make turkey burgers or soy burgers (there are some good ones, trust me). If you like French fries, make your own and bake them. Bake chicken instead of frying it. Get low-fat milk and yogurt instead of the higher-fat versions. Baked chips instead of greasy ones. While you shouldnít give up fat completely, and in fact some types of fat are good for you in moderation, itís important to remember that fat is high in calories (more than twice as calorie-dense as protein or carbs), and lowering your fat intake to a more moderate amount will also lower your calorie intake. Adding fruits and veggies is another good way to lower fat intake, as they take up a lot of space in your stomach without adding too many calories or fat.

5. Eat slowly, and then wait 20 minutes. If you scarf down your meals, you are probably overeating because of it. I know, because I have to slow myself down a lot. The thing is, it takes awhile for our brains to get the message that weíre full. So if we eat quickly, we will actually eat past fullness. Youíve probably had that painful, ďIíve eaten way too much!Ē feeling, and itís because of fast eating. The trick is to teach yourself to eat slowly. Youíll get full on less food.

6. Think long term. You wonít lose weight overnight. Well, you could lose weight quickly, but you donít want to ó itíll come back just as quickly. What you want is gradual weight loss that stays lost. A pound a week is a good rate ó again, thatís 500 calories a day less than you need to maintain your current weight, and itís about 50 pounds a year. Both are achievable, and both are sustainable. Of course, youíll need to make adjustments as you go along, in case youíre taking in too little or too many calories, but the main thing is not to try for immediate and quick weight loss, but long-term loss. Donít worry about the ups and downs every day, but look at trends over weeks and months. Itíll happen, if you stick with it and do it moderately.

7. Stop drinking calories. Calories in soda, coffee, tea, alcohol, juice and other beverages are very sneaky, because you donít realize how many calories you drink a day. Juice, for example, seems healthy, but really youíre getting none of the fiber of fruit and all of the calories. Eating an orange would give you the same benefits, and make you more full.

8. Read about weight loss. This might seem like a weird tip, but Iíve found it to be true. If you keep your focus on your goal, you will most likely achieve it. But if you lose focus, youíll lose motivation, and soon youíll stop any progress. What you should do is read about weight loss ó success stories, tips, etc. ó to return you to that focus and motivation. Any time youíre losing motivation, read some articles about weight loss or exercise or eating healthy.

9. Exercise for just 5 minutes. In the grand scheme of things, eating fewer calories is much more effective than trying to burn the calories through exercise. For example, you could burn a few hundred calories with 30 minutes of hard exercise, but you could easily gain those back with a bowl of cereal or some other snack. So if you really want weight loss, youíll have to focus on what you eat.

10. Just get through a tough 3 days. If you reduce your caloric intake, as per Item #2 above, you will feel hungry at first. And thatís not easy. Hunger makes us want to give in. But just tell yourself that itís just for 3 days. After that, it will start to get easier. Youíll get used to it, and it wonít seem like deprivation.

Nutrition & Dieting

I can answer questions related to general nutrition, fitness nutrition, bodybuilding nutrition, weight loss nutrition, healthy lifestyle nutrition.

As an ISSA certified personal trainer it is my job to provide nutrition plans on a daily basis for my clients and offer nutritional help to those in need. I believe that nutrition is one of the most important aspects to getting into shape. My reason being is that if you workout out for one hour, four times a week then that's only 2% of your week. If you sleep 8 hours a night that's another 33%. So during the other 65% of your time it's nutrition that makes changes in peoples lives. So focusing more on nutrition has helped many of my clients get the results they wanted.

I'm an ISSA certified personal trainer. I'm JSLA certified (Junior Sports Leadership Award) in 2014 I will be a certified ISSA bodybuilding trainer

In the past I have created hundreds of nutrition plans for my clients based on their goals and needs. Nowadays I am focusing more on helping people across the globe via the internet as I can hit a bigger number of people in need of help.