Nutrition & Dieting/Glucocil

I have type 2 diabetes and take Glipazide.  Mediacore results.  Last A1c was 8.0.  I have been reading about a health food store drug called Glucocil.  Supposedly it lowers blood sugar.  Is this a scam or might it work?

Hello Ronald,

It's great to hear you are monitoring your glucose levels and aware of your A1C. That's the first step in diabetes management.

This supplement, glucocil, does contain some substances that are shown to help with their loosely-defined claims--namely B vitamins and fish oils. But you can easily get these in your diet (eating whole grains and fatty fish).
Here is some information on the latest research regarding chromium and diabetes:

The problem with over-the-counter supplements is, there is no regulatory agency to oversee their contents or their claims. The pill manufacturers have gotten around FDA supervision by proving that supplements such as this one are neither a food, nor a drug--so the FDA doesn't have the right to inspect or control anything about them. In other words, the pill could claim it contains something it doesn't, claim to work in a way it doesn't, or contain ingredients that aren't listed. No one, except the occasional curious private laboratory who decides to see what's really in them, will know the truth.

You would be better off concentrating on weight control (or weight loss if you are overweight) and including high-fiber foods in your diet to help delay glucose absorption after a meal or snack.

Keep monitoring your blood sugar, stay in touch with your physician, and find out if there is a registered dietitian who can work with you locally (often your area hospital will have an out-patient RD who can see you, and often your health insurance will cover 2-3 visits).

Let me know how it goes!!

Nutrition & Dieting

Laurie Beebe, MS, RD, LD

As a registered dietitian (RD)I am fully qualified to accurately answer questions regarding weight loss, including those from people with health conditions requiring dietary restrictions (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc) who want to lose weight, or who have been advised to do so by their physician.

I have been a registered dietitian for over 30 years and have a certificate in Adult Weight Management through the commission on dietetic registration at Level 1 and Level 2. I am also trained in coaching through Coach U and currently work as a diet coach to help people lose weight the healthy way, through gradual habit changes.

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND), Weight Management Dietetic Practice Group, Nutrition Entreprenuers, St.Louis International Coach Federation, Toastmasters

Publications,,,, Today's Dietitian

Bachelor of Health Science from the University of Florida, 1983; Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University 1985; Certificate in Adult Weight Management 2006; CoachU core essentials grad 2007; Level 2 certificate in Adult Weight Management 2010.