Nutrition & Dieting/Oxidisation of fruit

Question
Hi Stacy

I've been making fruit salads to take with me to work - I make them up the night before and store them in a sealed airtight container in the fridge.

But some of the fruit (particularly peaches, plums and pears) oxidise and go brown by the time I eat them. Still taste fine to me (a bit mushy perhaps) but I'm a bit worried that it might not be safe to eat them like that? I've tried putting lemon juice on them but that doesn't really help. I've also read online that oxidised fruit loses its nutrients. Is that true?

Thanks :)

Answer
Yes this is true. Fruit that is stored improperly can lose its nutritional value.  The natural chemical process that is harmful to many of the nutrients is the process of oxidation.  If you buy fresh fruit, cut it up and freeze it and seal the container properly the integrity of the fruit should be fine.  Take the frozen fruit to work and by the time you are ready to eat it will be defrosted.  

Thank you.  

Nutrition & Dieting

Stacy Ostrager, M.A.,M.S.