Nutrition & Dieting/Oxidisation of fruit

Hi Stacy

I've been making fruit salads to take with me to work - I make them up the night before and store them in a sealed airtight container in the fridge.

But some of the fruit (particularly peaches, plums and pears) oxidise and go brown by the time I eat them. Still taste fine to me (a bit mushy perhaps) but I'm a bit worried that it might not be safe to eat them like that? I've tried putting lemon juice on them but that doesn't really help. I've also read online that oxidised fruit loses its nutrients. Is that true?

Thanks :)

Yes this is true. Fruit that is stored improperly can lose its nutritional value.  The natural chemical process that is harmful to many of the nutrients is the process of oxidation.  If you buy fresh fruit, cut it up and freeze it and seal the container properly the integrity of the fruit should be fine.  Take the frozen fruit to work and by the time you are ready to eat it will be defrosted.  

Thank you.  

Nutrition & Dieting

Stacy Ostrager, M.A.,M.S.

I am qualified to answer your questions on nutrition, medical nutrition therapy, disease management,obesity and obesity related issues. I am experienced with nutrition aspect of managing the following: Celiac disease, lactose intolerance, pregnancy, allergies, IBS, diabetes, heart disease, fitness, wellness, healthy cooking, and many more.

Over 20 years in premier hospitals, consulting and private counseling practice for nutrition.

New York State Dietetic Association, Long Island Dietetic Association, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Center for Science of Public Interest

Masters of Healthcare Administration from Hofstra University (Hempstead, N.Y.) 1999 Masters of Science in Nutrition from Eastern Michigan University (Ypslanti, M.I.) 2012 Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration from Ithaca College (Ithaca, N.Y) 1994

NYU Medical Center, Long Island Jewish Medical Center