Nutrition & Dieting/Red meat spikes insulin?

Question
I am currently following a low carb lifestyle. A low carb diet, compared to low fat or low calorie, is the only thing that I personally find helps to lose weight. Less carbs means more meat though, and I am not a big meat lover. This time around I am not losing weight as fast as I used to. Is this because of my increased red meat consumption? I am reading that red meat actually spikes insulin. Other than that, it gives me gas and bloating. Would it be OK to eat more dairy or nuts or something to replace the red meat? Thanks!

Answer
Hi Barry,

Yes, following a low carb diet can aid in weight loss.  There is a catch- you may think that you can eat more by eliminating processed foods.  That is not the case.  Eating all the meat you want will result in taking in more calories than you need and you can end up gaining weight.  Meat is not the only way to consume protein.  There are many plant based sources of protein that you can eat in place of meat.  Beans, tofu, nuts and eggs are just a few.

Good luck

Nutrition & Dieting

Stacy Ostrager, M.A.,M.S.