Nutrition & Dieting/Extra weight

Question
My husband was prett fit when i met him, he was 220lbs of muscle basically. He lifted for 6 years in High school and a couple in college.

Go forward a few years and stress and stress eating started.
We are finally in a stable place, lovong peacefully on land and his stress is basically gone, but in the few years he packed on 60lbs and went up 6 sizes

I do not know what the best approach is for him.. Should he carb cycle, meal prep, no carbs, calorie count

Hes getting upset because we cant keep the weight off and i feel like we are not doing the meal part correctly. He is exercising 4 days a week, do you have suggestions or good links? Most sites seem like a scam anf his "coach" at the gym told him he needs to eat a 1000 calorie meal a day but that seems off

Answer
The first thing I recommend prior to anything is to get a complete physical to make sure he is healthy and has no underlying conditions. Second make an appointment to have  a RMR ( resting metabolic rate ) measurement taken this will tell you how many calories he is burning at rest. Once you have this number then you have a starting point.This number ,let's say it's 1750 calories is the number he needs to stay lower then each day after exercise and food consumption. If he stays below that number he will lose weight. The important part is that he should not drastically fall much lower then that number because the weight lost may not stay off for long. You had mentioned the one person told you 1000 calories a day. If he has a BMR of 1200 calories then that would be fine but if it's 1750 then that would be excessive. The BMR is done with a machine that measures oxygen intake which is then converted into calories burned. But the key is to 1. Physical 2. BMR 3. Cut food intake back using the BMR as a guideline 4. Calorie count. 5. Exercise (not so much for weight reduction but more for physical condition, a healthy fit body burns calories more effectively) 6. Monitor progress. And make good food choices, eat your veggies,drink water,get the proper amount of fiber,vitamins,minerals,fat,and carbs in your diet. Stay away from simple carbs, such as cookies and cakes. I wish him the best and hopefully I have been able to help you. If you have any further questions feel free to write back.

Thanks

Larry  

Nutrition & Dieting

Lawrence Sanchez CSN, CPFC, RI, PT, TBMI