OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder/OCD

Question
Hi!
I have a friend with some psychiatric diagnoses, eg ocd. He sometimes answers sms or facebook but sometimes he seems to be very difficult to contact (even though he really likes me). How does this usually work for people with OCD)? Do they sometimes choose not to answer you when you contact them?
I also heard that my friend met a person with bipolar disorder and now something not so good happened. Do people with OCD have difficult with people who have bipolar or other simmilar illnesses?

Answer
Hi Andrew

In your question you asked: "How does this usually work for people with OCD)? Do they sometimes choose not to answer you when you contact them?" .

OCD can involve many different kinds of obsessions - so it's not easy to tell what might lead him to be avoidant to communication with you over the phone, even though he really likes you. There is no single way that an OCD patient will respond to communication - although because OCD is an anxiety condition, he may feel anxious to speak to you in general.

He may also have obsessions to do with people/close relationships & contact - or like many with OCD, he may have a comorbid condition. A comorbid condition is a psychiatric issue that accompanies someone's illness, (but may not be caused by it).

OCD patients commonly have other psychopathology. Common anxiety-related comorbidity is found in Social Phobia & Social Anxiety Disorder (fear of interacting with people, even liked people), Panic Disorder, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

You asked: and "Do people with OCD have difficult with people who have bipolar or other simmilar illnesses?"

Bipolar people can be aggressive and intolerable in some of their manic or depressive phases. People with OCD are much more likely to be sensitive or avoidant to this kind of treatment, (although of course, no one likes to be treated poorly). OCD patients are very particular about what kinds of things they will tolerate, and experiences they want to avoid. So it may be that he had a bad experience and is trying to be more cautious about future relationships.

It may be just that the OCD is so severe, he can't answer the phone due to compulsive rituals (possible). Try to talk to him about it, be supportive, and let him know that he can discuss any concerns he has with you.

Good luck. If you have any followup questions or comments, feel free to share them.

--Hope you found your feedback helpful. If so, be sure to rate or review. Thanks!--

OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Alan Baker