ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/Did provera cause me to miscarry?

I Care wrote at 2011-06-02 18:32:27
Provera is NOT safe at all during pregnancy....if you look it up and research it you will find that they repeat over and over again DO NOT use provera if you are pregnant or think you are pregnant because it can lead to miscarriage or birth defects. Your doctor should have definitely did a quantitative blood test first. He was neglectful and I am truly sorry for your lost. I am going through something similar. I've missed 2 periods and I never missed a period except when I was pregnant. My test kept coming back negative the first time and the doctor tried to put me on birth control but I asked him for one more test and I was indeed pregnant about 7weeks. Now the same things is happening again and the doctor is trying to prescribe me provera. Im not taking it. Im going to get more tests and a second opinion. Always follow your instinct. everybody body is different. no one knows your body like you know it yourself. again truly sorry for your lost!

pf fishman wrote at 2013-03-15 18:10:05
This is absolutely false.  Many people get confused about progesterone and synthetic progestins (like provera).  Progesterone is given to prevent miscarriage.  Provera will cause a miscarriage and is, indeed, what is in the morning-after pill to prevent pregnancy. It is unfortunate that so many are confused about the difference between these two substances and are actually telling women it is alright to take provera while pregnant. Provera is NOT progesterone.

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Suzette RN BSN