ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/FHR

Question
Hello,
Some background: I am a 27yo healthy female. This is my first pregnancy and I am about 6w3d. I had tranvaginal u/s yesterday and there was a yolk sac, and a fetal pole and CRL measuring between 3mm and 5mm. My Hcg last week was 12,121 and yesterday it was 69,000. Progesterone last week was 8.1, this week it is 12.16. My doctor put me on crinone last week, but it supposedly doesn't raise blood serum so we think mine is going up on it's own. Everything seems good so far except I didnt get to see a fetal heart rate. I have not experienced any cramping or spotting at all. Just slight nausea, fatigue, and tender breast. Should I be worried about not seeing one? I read that you should see one by 6wks. We have not told anyone about our pregnancy so I'm reaching out to you for any advice you can offer.
Thank you so much in advance!
Mara

Answer
With your levels rising so well, I would expect that everything is progressing as it should. It is not uncommon for the heart rate not to be detected at this time. Even with a transvag U/S, it is very difficult to see before 10-12 weeks. With all 3 of my children, I did not see the heartbeat for the first time until after 10 weeks. With my last child, he is now 9 months old today, I was brought in to determine how far along I was at 8 weeks and did not see a heartbeat at that time. About two to three weeks later, they repeated the U/S and I saw his heartbeat for the first time. This early into the pregnancy, the fetus is still trying to develop, so it is difficult at best to find the heartbeat due to the baby's size. He/She is merely the size of a grain of rice right now. Try to stay positive, it is very difficult to do when you are a first time mom. Being that your levels are rising and you are experiencing symptoms of pregnancy, everything should be just fine. I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
Cheryl Hetherington

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Cheryl Hatcher