ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/high HCG levels, but no baby...

Question
My LMP is Nov, 21, 2012. On Dec 28, 2012 my HCG was 985. I have taken progesterone suppositories since my positive preg test on Dec 20, 2012, which was very faint because my last 3 pregnancies I've had to take them.  We keep a watch on it to make sure it doesn't drop. Jan 11, 2013 I had an u/s and no baby. Ultrasound tech said I was barely 5 weeks instead of little over 7 weeks. HCG level showed 12,925 so dr scheduled another u/s for Jan 22, 2013.  It showed the sac to be bigger but still no baby.  He drew blood and told me he thought the level would be down indicating a blighted ovum, which would be my second bo.  But HCG level came back 20 thousand something so he said he's confused and to just keep taking the progesterone suppositories and we're going to check HCG again in a week on Jan 29, 2013.  By the first u/s I should be have been about 6 1/2 weeks on this last u/s. But HCG level wise furter he said and by LMP 9 weeks.  I usually have regular cycles, however the last one was 27 and the one before that 33. I'm just wondering if there's still a chance there could be a baby just not being able to see yet for some reason??  And another opinion since my Dr isn't sure what to think yet. I do have a heart shaped uterus and it tilts back a lot.  This is my 4th pregnancy. 1st was a miscarriage at 7 weeks in April 2009.  2nd was a healthy boy in March 2010. 3rd pregnancy I started using the dr i'm using now and he determined that one a blighted ovum at 7 weeks with a HCG level of only 1390. Now this is the 4th pregnancy.  I also feel very pregnant this time which I didn't last time.  Thanks for your time!!!

Answer
It is not uncommon for the baby to be difficult to find with an abnormally shaped and placed uterus. I have heard of several cases where the baby was not found in utero until after 8 to 10 weeks, so please do not be discouraged. Stress will only make things harder on your already fragile body. That being said, there could be quite a few reasons for this finding. Progesterone thickens the uterus and strengthens the cervix greatly, this may be a contributing factor in their inability to find the baby. The elevated HCG levels are a good indicator that the pregnancy is progressing, most BO cases do not see those levels. They would likely have started tapering down drastically at this point. I had just spoken to a woman who encountered the same issue nearly two years ago as a follow up. She had gone to multiple ER's and doctors who told her that they did not know what was happening because her HCG levels were rising up to 8000+ in her first 5 weeks and they could not find the baby. She also had an abnormal uterus. It wasn't until about 11 weeks that they found the baby, it seems as though she was nestled up in the very back of her uterus where they were unable to see her on U/S. Emmalynn is now 14 months old and is a beautiful and healthy baby girl. Please do try to be optimistic. While I know it is difficult with so many confusing findings, remaining positive is crucial for your peace of mind. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep me updated and let me know how things go. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me further.

Sincerely,
Cheryl Hetherington

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Cheryl Hatcher