ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/Worse Itching

Hi Kandeel,

You suggested me to try the anti-histaminics. Piriton, which I took once is an anti-histaminic medicine but it didn't worked. Also I have read on Internet that taking anti-histamine close to delivery could be harmful. Is it right???I am very worried about this

Taking antihistaminics under medical supervision should not be a problem close to delivery. It sometimes even is used early in pregnancy to control excessive vomiting in some women. The effect you are talking about is that if you take heavy doses close to delivery-in hours, the baby my be delivered sleepy.

However, as with any other medications, it should only be taken under med supervision to control the dose. if itching persists, consult a dermatologist.

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Mohamed Kandeel

I can answer questions about antenatal care, medical problems associated with pregnancy, labor and delivery and postpartum care.

Currently I am working as a Professor of Obstetrics gynecology, Menofyia University, Egypt. Since 1987, I worked in many university and private hospitals with a high load of pregnant population averaging 7-9,000 deliveries/year. This exposed me to all problems associated with pregnancy, labor and delivery. I had my doctorate degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology in 1996 in the use of Doppler ultrasound in high risk pregnancies.

Menofyia University, Egypt

-British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Kandil M) -Egyptian Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Kandil M) -Ain Shams Journal of Medicine (Kandil M)

-Master's degree in obstetrics and Gynecology 1989 -Doctorate degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology 1996

Editorial advisor: Fetal monitoring section of the international website www.obgyn.net