ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/9 weeks postpartum and still bleeding

Question
I had a baby 9 weeks ago. At my 6 week check up I was still bleeding and my uterus wasn't quite back to its normal size, but everything else looked good. I stopped bleeding at 6 1/2 weeks, but started spotting again 4-5 days later after doing a few ab work outs. The spotting lasted about 2 days and then stopped, but started again about 4-5 days later. I continued to have red to brownish spotting mixed with mucus until 3 days ago when I appeared to have a tiny bit of tissue come out along with some brown blood and then started to have some heavier red bleeding, that has continued for the last 3 days. I also was having some achy pains in my uterus that now seem to be just some light occasional cramping. Could this be some retained placenta or is it possible to start my period before my postpartum bleeding really stopped?

Answer
Sara

The most common cause for your complaint is the presence of some retained products of conception inside the uterus which can be either some placental tissues, membranes or both. Ultrasound is therefore necessary to confir the diagnosis and then a curettage may be performed to evacuate.

Good Luck

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Mohamed Kandeel