ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/No heartbeat at 7weeks 6 days

I went in for a scan at 6weeks5 days and shows a yolk sac but no fetal pole, the sac measured 5weeks 6 days. Went in for a second scan at 7 weeks 6 days, it shows a fetal pole and crl measuring 4mm. My doctor say it is not viable and ask to arrange for a D&C.Mine is a IVF so that the dates should be not off... Is it really not viable?

I agree with your doctor if the ultrasound was performed by an experienced sonographer. Usually when we suspect the viability of an embryo, we recheck in one week to confirm the findings and obviously this is what happened with you. If you are not sure of the sonographer, you can repeat it vaginally somewhere else to be sure.

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Mohamed Kandeel

I can answer questions about antenatal care, medical problems associated with pregnancy, labor and delivery and postpartum care.

Currently I am working as a Professor of Obstetrics gynecology, Menofyia University, Egypt. Since 1987, I worked in many university and private hospitals with a high load of pregnant population averaging 7-9,000 deliveries/year. This exposed me to all problems associated with pregnancy, labor and delivery. I had my doctorate degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology in 1996 in the use of Doppler ultrasound in high risk pregnancies.

Menofyia University, Egypt

-British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Kandil M) -Egyptian Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Kandil M) -Ain Shams Journal of Medicine (Kandil M)

-Master's degree in obstetrics and Gynecology 1989 -Doctorate degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology 1996

Editorial advisor: Fetal monitoring section of the international website