ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/Separated abs

Question
I have a 3 finger seperation of my abs.  I have been pregnant 4 times.  My last pregnancy was with twins each weighing 8lbs at birth.  My twins just turned 3.  I am at my pre pregnancy weight.  However, my stomach sticks out like I am 5 months pregnant.  I workout for 1 1/2 hours 6 times a week.  I have tried using a personal trainer and nothing helps.  I gave always been able to have a flat stomach in the past but nothing works now.  I'm desperate.  I hate the way I look. People ask me if I'm pregnant all the time.  Do I need a tummy tuck or is there something I can do that I haven't tried that would help?  I'm very motivated and dedicated.  
Thanks,
Katherine

Answer
Katherine,
Sorry to take so long to get back to you.
Lots of women, both with and w/o diastasis, end up with overly round, protruding abdominal walls. Total bummer. Nothing is worse than folks brightly asking when the baby is due, when you're not pregnant! And it makes sense that you would experience this, after 4 pregs, with the last being twins, which stretches out the abdomen a lot more than a singleton.
But it is definitely fixable with proper exercise.
This postpartum problem occurs when the external abdominal muscles, the Rectus Abdominis, and the External Obliques are a lot stronger than the deepest abdominal muscle, the Transverse Abdominis, or Tva. Sometimes the TvA can become quiescent (not engaging when it should) or is too weak to supply enough stability (through abdominal compression) to maintain a flat abdominal profile when performing abdominal exercises. Or it can be a matter of engrained neuromuscular patterning too, especially if you've done a lot of traditional abdominal exercises like crunches before you rehabbed your TvA. Or a combination of these factors might be in play.
To remodel the shape of your abdomen, you need to start doing exercises that isolate and strength the Tva, and then when you've built up a foundation of strength, progress to exercises that train the TvA to function properly as a stabilizer. And stop doing all ab exercises that lift/roll the upper body off the floor of against the force of gravity.
At 3 years post childbirth, you should be able to partially close you mid line. I'd guess to around 2 finger-widths.
For more info on this, see pages:
http://befitmom.com/diastasis_recti.html
http://befitmom.com/abdominal_reconditioning.html  

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Helene Byrne