ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/new born girl

Question
My sister just had her first baby, and I saw her (the baby) minutes later. It seemed to me that the baby's genitals were very swollen. Is that normal for new born girls?

thanks

Jo

Answer
Jo

No.It is not normal. However, this sometimes occur with prolonged labor or a labor with some degree of obstruction. It usually resolves without sequelae but it is always better to be examined to exclude any organic lesion. In fact this should have been done in the labor room by a neonatalogist but no one can tell if this have happened or not.

Good Luck

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Mohamed Kandeel