ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/new born girl

My sister just had her first baby, and I saw her (the baby) minutes later. It seemed to me that the baby's genitals were very swollen. Is that normal for new born girls?

No.It is not normal. However, this sometimes occur with prolonged labor or a labor with some degree of obstruction. It usually resolves without sequelae but it is always better to be examined to exclude any organic lesion. In fact this should have been done in the labor room by a neonatalogist but no one can tell if this have happened or not.

Good Luck

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Mohamed Kandeel

I can answer questions about antenatal care, medical problems associated with pregnancy, labor and delivery and postpartum care.

Currently I am working as a Professor of Obstetrics gynecology, Menofyia University, Egypt. Since 1987, I worked in many university and private hospitals with a high load of pregnant population averaging 7-9,000 deliveries/year. This exposed me to all problems associated with pregnancy, labor and delivery. I had my doctorate degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology in 1996 in the use of Doppler ultrasound in high risk pregnancies.

Menofyia University, Egypt

-British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Kandil M) -Egyptian Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Kandil M) -Ain Shams Journal of Medicine (Kandil M)

-Master's degree in obstetrics and Gynecology 1989 -Doctorate degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology 1996

Editorial advisor: Fetal monitoring section of the international website www.obgyn.net