ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/Am I Pregnant?

Question
I am on cycle day 13 and I am having some cramping and heaviness in my lower abdomen. I have taken soy isoflavone because I want to ovulate and conceive. I also am urinating alot more frequent am I just symptom spotting because I want to become pregnant. Or could I possibly be in first stages of pregnancy .like first week of it. I have a period every month but I have never paid attention to ovulation. This is my first cycle paying attention. Also with me taking soy isoflavone it helps you ovulate sooner in some cases. Could this have been the case with me. Please glee me as I am completely confused and praying for a bfp soon.

Answer
Dear Danica,
You state that you are on cycle day #13. If you have a normal 28-30 day cycle then you are not pregnant, at least not on day 13. (You could be now as you are reading this response)

Conception and Ovulation Education from  Obgyn Lehi
To educate you a little, sperm can live up to 5-6 days following ejaculation. The egg, which by the way, is the only cell you can actually see and the largest in the body, can only live 12-24 hours. Therefore, it is best to have sex PRIOR to ovulation to increase the likelihood of conception. Some women, but not most, can feel when they ovulate. This is called mid-cycle pain, ovulation pain or "mittlesmertz" which is mid cycle pain in German.

I do not know of any true study demonstrating the efficacy of soy isoflavone in helping you ovulate. However, 10,000 units of HCG is often given 24-48 hours prior to suspected ovulation, or when the follicle has reached 16mm in size on ultrasound, to help ovulation by most reproductive specialists.
-Dr. Mark T. Saunders F.A.C.O.G.
(P.S. Good luck on conceiving)

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Dr. Mark T Saunders