ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/Early Miscarriage

Question
Hi. Do you consider early miscarriages (ie chemical pregnancies) miscarriages? And if so, would you recommend testing after 2 consecutive ones? I had one in April at 5 weeks and June at 4 weeks and 5 days. I'm 33 with no children and worried. Fortunately, after stopping the pill, I got pregnant the 3rd time trying and then after the first one, waited one cycle for my period to come back, then got pregnant again. My husband and I are just wondering what to expect. My follow up OB appt isn't until next week. We're healthy and I've had no women's health issues in the past. Normal periods before birth control and my cycles have been pretty regular since stopping it (I didn't have a period for the past 6 years on my most recent birth control). The OB said she tested my antibodies after the first m/c and they were negative (although she didn't specify which ones she checked). Thyroid is normal on Synthroid (treated for subclinical hypothyroid before wanting to conceive due to TSH's in the 4-5 range and thyroid antibodies in the past are negative). I am just trying to be proactive for the testing if needed and curious to see what the best/worse case scenarios are.
Thank you for your time.

Answer
Dear Sarah,

Yes, your OB/GYN does need to test you for antibodies. The specific ones I would test you for are antiphospholipid antibodies, anticardiolipin antibodies, and an Ob panel with an antibody screen. Most importantly, don't despair and hopefully the "third time will be the charm!"

-Dr. Mark T. Saunders

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Dr. Mark T Saunders