ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/Perigestational Sac Hemorrhage

Question
Hello, I am 7 weeks, 4 days pregnant. This is my 2nd pregnancy, I have a 7 month old. I went to the ER today due to a extreme pain and cramping in my lower stomach. I had a salmon colored discharge yesterday. the pain is continuing, it feels like a mix of contractions and menstrual cramps. The ER doctor said it was a "Perigestational Sac Hemorrhage" He didn't explain though. I am confused about what that means and if it means I'm going to miscarry. Are my chances of this pregnancy continuing good?

thank you!

Answer
Dear Alyssa,

The term "Perigestational Sac Hemorrhage" simply means there is a small collection of blood around the intra-uterine sac. At this point it does not mean you are going to miscarry, but that you might miscarry. If the bleeding slows down and the cramping lessens, then you will likely continue to have a normal pregnancy . If the bleeding increases then you are more likely to miscarry.

-Dr. Mark T. Saunders

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Dr. Mark T Saunders