ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/Calcium Deposit

I am 22 weeks and 4 days into my first pregnancy. I got a call from my doctor the other night about a calcium deposit in the umbilical cord. What are the risks of this? Is there anything I can do? Do I need to change my diet? Can this be life threatening? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just nervous.

Calcification of the placenta is an indication for aging of the placenta but im not aware of any consequences of cord calcification on the health of the baby unless this affects the amount of blood flow passing through the vessel. This can be detected by what is known as Doppler flow studies. You have nothing to do other than getting more clarification from your doctor.

God Luck

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Mohamed Kandeel

I can answer questions about antenatal care, medical problems associated with pregnancy, labor and delivery and postpartum care.

Currently I am working as a Professor of Obstetrics gynecology, Menofyia University, Egypt. Since 1987, I worked in many university and private hospitals with a high load of pregnant population averaging 7-9,000 deliveries/year. This exposed me to all problems associated with pregnancy, labor and delivery. I had my doctorate degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology in 1996 in the use of Doppler ultrasound in high risk pregnancies.

Menofyia University, Egypt

-British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Kandil M) -Egyptian Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Kandil M) -Ain Shams Journal of Medicine (Kandil M)

-Master's degree in obstetrics and Gynecology 1989 -Doctorate degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology 1996

Editorial advisor: Fetal monitoring section of the international website www.obgyn.net