ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/Back paiin

Dear Mr. Kandeel,

Assalam Alaikum

I am 33 weeks pregnant and this is my second pregnancy. My first baby was born 2 years before and it was a cessarian section. My problem is that I have been feeling lower back pain since a month. I informed this to the gaenocologist who is observing me and she advised to take paracetamol tablet. I sometime apply gel and it relieves to some extent. I also feel swelling and tightness in my vagina. The doctor tole me that the baby's head is engaged in the bottom.

I would like to ask you if this is something normal. is it a sign of early labor pain. Please advise.

Thanks and regards.

Although this can be normal at that time of pregnancy, it may also be a sign of preterm labor. The most common cause for preterm labor is urinary tract infection which is usually accompanied by back pain on either side. If such pain is accompanied with any urinary complaint such as frequency, burning or urgency, I would recommend urine analysis and treat according to results.
If the analysis is negative I would not worry but will keep more frequent antenatal visits with the Obstetrician.

Good Luck

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Mohamed Kandeel

I can answer questions about antenatal care, medical problems associated with pregnancy, labor and delivery and postpartum care.

Currently I am working as a Professor of Obstetrics gynecology, Menofyia University, Egypt. Since 1987, I worked in many university and private hospitals with a high load of pregnant population averaging 7-9,000 deliveries/year. This exposed me to all problems associated with pregnancy, labor and delivery. I had my doctorate degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology in 1996 in the use of Doppler ultrasound in high risk pregnancies.

Menofyia University, Egypt

-British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Kandil M) -Egyptian Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Kandil M) -Ain Shams Journal of Medicine (Kandil M)

-Master's degree in obstetrics and Gynecology 1989 -Doctorate degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology 1996

Editorial advisor: Fetal monitoring section of the international website www.obgyn.net