ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/Starting an exercise routine

Question
My husband and I decided to start trying to get pregnant again here shortly (like stopping birth control this weekend).  I have also just recently begun to start exercising again, nothing major yet, mostly just walking.  I was planning on starting a home circuit of push ups, sit ups, etc and/or some lap swimming or light cardio and lifting at the gym we belong to.  I know with my first two kids my Ob said not to start heavy training during a pregnancy but anything I had been doing before I could continue to do.  Is 1-3 months before early enough to not cause problems if we happen to get pregnant quickly?  I am healthy overall, the exercise is more for maintaining weight so it isn't a must do but I would like to stay healthy this pregnancy.  Thanks!!

Answer
Now is the perfect time for you to increase your activity level. Because aerobic exercise provides - by far - the most health benefits to you and your developing baby after conception, make this the foundation of your regular activities. Then supplement with basic strength training and stretching.
For cardio, aim for an intensity between 70%-85% of your predicted maximal HR (200-age).
Fitness (brisk) walking, elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike (recumbent when the belly gets big) are all good options.
Meet at least the ACOG minimum guidelines of 30 minutes of moderate level aerobic activity most days of the week.
Swimming is a top choice during pregnancy, as it provides both aerobic conditioning and eliminates the force of gravity on your spine. Great for once the belly starts to get heavy. Also the hydrostatic pressure of the water increases lymphatic drainage, helping to prevent/reduce fluid retention. Best yet, swimming can be done right up to delivery.
Of all the pregnant and postpartum women I've worked with, swimmers have the fewest complications/complaints and bounce back the quickest. So start swimming now, to build up endurance, which you can then maintain through all three tris after conception.
Start taking a prenatal now, to ensure that you have enough folic acid (folate) in your diet, as this nutrient is crucial for the first days after conception.
For weight management, aim eat caloric balance daily. Neither too much nor too little for your metabolism. this way you'll gain "all baby" and not store much additional fat, and not need to diet after baby is born.
You can find more info about prenatal fitness and exercise on our web site.
BeFit-Mom
www.befitmom.com

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Helene Byrne