ObGyn/Pregnancy issues/Anxiety about cervix pain 20wks pregnant

Hello Dr Kandeel.
I am 20 weeks +4 into my second pregnancy. For many reasons it is a true miracle pregnancy which increases my anxiety.

I was scanned at 16 weeks and again at 20 weeks where everything was on track. I did notice that my cervix length had shortened during this time from 4.9cm to 3.2cm. I don't have not her appointment with my doctor for 10 days and he won't call me back. My anxiety comes mainly from the sharp stinging pains I'm having in my cervix. They are quite constant for the past four days except when I'm sleeping. It feels similar to when I've had procedures such hsg tests and embryo transfer etc. I can't help but think my cervix must be shortening even more.

I realise you can't diagnose from an email, I'm hoping you might tell me if as an expert this sounds concerning.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to being pain and anxiety free...

It is quite normal to have your cervix shortens as pregnancy advances. The critical length is 25 mmn as this increases the possibility of preterm labor. As you are 32 mm, then you are far from 25. This should not be a cause for major concern.
I am not sure of the cervix pain you have. It may be cervical infection but I cannot tell for sure, if this pain continues then an examination may be a must.

ObGyn/Pregnancy issues

Mohamed Kandeel

I can answer questions about antenatal care, medical problems associated with pregnancy, labor and delivery and postpartum care.

Currently I am working as a Professor of Obstetrics gynecology, Menofyia University, Egypt. Since 1987, I worked in many university and private hospitals with a high load of pregnant population averaging 7-9,000 deliveries/year. This exposed me to all problems associated with pregnancy, labor and delivery. I had my doctorate degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology in 1996 in the use of Doppler ultrasound in high risk pregnancies.

Menofyia University, Egypt

-British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Kandil M) -Egyptian Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (Kandil M) -Ain Shams Journal of Medicine (Kandil M)

-Master's degree in obstetrics and Gynecology 1989 -Doctorate degree in Obstetrics and Gynecology 1996

Editorial advisor: Fetal monitoring section of the international website