Oboe/G.Mollenhauer & Sohne Oboe

Weasel wrote at 2010-03-31 19:08:50
This might be of some use: I recently bought a Mollenhauer cor anglais from eBay - took a bit of a risk I know!  It came with a free (!) Loree pro model oboe which needs a proper overhaul.  I spent 330 getting the cor fully serviced (new pads, some new springs, a thorough cleaning etc) and it plays beautifully.  It has a much longer bell joint than usual and a low Bb key.  It doesn't have a thumbplate and is fully automatic, which has taken a bit of getting used to, especially when playing Bbs and Cs, but it makes a really nice sound, and my oboe teacher has even asked if he can borrow it for an upcoming concert because he likes it better than his Marigaux cor!

So, get a professional opinion, and see if it it is worth having it fixed, you may be in for a really nice surprise!

Curt wrote at 2010-08-08 23:36:49

Re. Mollenhauer Oboe ser. no.15217. Your grandfather's oboe is not common in the U.S..

It's value would be based upon how much work it would require to BE playable. This could as much as $500.00 based the amount of work beyond the normal "tune-up". I'm interested.

Curtis Metzgar

Geoffrey Bridge wrote at 2013-10-07 18:59:08
Dear Bruce I have had a question regarding a possible purchase of your Mollenhauer oboe if you wanted to sell it.

If you pick this up please get in touch on this email address:

It is an AppExperts questioner in fact called Robert. I will send him any information you have via the AllExperts site.

William Campbell wrote at 2014-08-26 21:18:33
The Mollenhauer Oboe had a nice, sweet sound but Mollenhauer Fulda oboe had a non conventional left Eb/F key. Tipping it left would play the F, to the right, Eb. The wood was poor and I had two (1963) which cracked.  However Conrad Mollenhauer, Kassel made very nice oboes, one of which I used for chamber music and brought it to the USA in 1977. Yours Looks like one of the G Mollenhauers of Fulda. They made only auto 8ve models.

In 1971-73 I played with a Baroque chamber ensemble with the Mollenhauer family in Fulda. Grandpa Otto played bassoon and Bernhard, (now CEO of the recorder factory) played recorder. They are a great family and have a wonderful history. Not only the war, but a devastating fire in 1963 destroyed the main factory in Fulda. The have recovered very well.

Ray1946 wrote at 2015-01-05 19:01:15
 I purchased an old Mollenhauer oboe very similar to yours on Ebay about 3 years ago. The number on mine is 15592 and is on all 3 parts. The key system is not standard and appears to be a modified Barret system, from what I have been able to find out a German developement made between the Wars.

I am in the process of restoring it now and plan to play it when it is finished. My instrument has some kind of German military marking under the very top of the instrument.

Hope this helps,.................Ray Titcombe

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed