Oboe/Old used Oboe

Question
Hi Geoffrey,

I am having trouble tracking down more information on our Oboe. The instrument says "The Rudolphe Co." and "Cincinnati" on the markings. Also there are two stars on the stamp. One is above and one is below the stamp. I think the instrument is made of wood and metal. I figure it was probably make in Ohio. The owner of the Oboe used to work in Tonawanda, NY; in case this is helpful.

I am looking to find out more about the company and what age the Oboe might be?

Kathy F

Answer
Dear Kathy

I think that your instrument was made by the Wurlitzer Company. Probably in the first 10 years of the 20th Century.

The company was founded by Franz Rudolph Wurlitzer, born in Saxony in 1831 and died in Cincinnati in 1914.
They made band instruments of all kinds from 1856 -1914. He was joined by his brother Anton in 1872 and the company became Rudolph Wurlitzer & Bro and then in 1890 as Rudolph Wurlitzer Co. His son succeeded him on his death and continued until 1928. They then became famous for organs with their main factory in Tonawanda, NY and it was eventually wound up in 1988 when it was bought by Baldwin Pianos.

If you can send me a picture or two that would be very interesting for me.

If so, please send them to

geoffrey@geoffreybridgeoboe.com

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge