Oboe/Rigoutat Oboe 282z - 1964

Question
Hello! I'm looking at purchasing a used oboe for myself, and am considering a Rigoutat 282z from '64. What can you tell about this model? I tend to prefer a warmer tone, and am unsure about what this particular model would give me. The price is $2,400 - is this reasonable? I'm told it is in very good condition. Thank you so much!

Answer
Dear Christine

The Rigoutat you are considering is pretty old. Have you played it?
They were what is now known as the Classic model and if not used too much will be great.
But...as I say it is getting on for 50 years old and the oboe designs have improved significantly since then. It has to be played by you to see if you like the sound it makes. Some of them are warm but some can sound a bit weedy. Each example is different. So try it!!!

The price of $2400 is reasonable for an oboe of that vintage but I still think for that money it needs to be in very good condition in plating of the keys, slackness or otherwise in the key work, no cracks - and they do sometimes crack - good intonation with no "funny" notes.
Try the low E - is it stable - and the C#s all three of them.
How good are the bottom notes. Try playing the low B and squeezing your embouchure. The note should go up an octave and not start burbling. If it does then the bore is worn and can not be repaired.

Get back to me if I can help further.
A great oboe maker it has to be said. I have one myself!

Geoffrey  

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge