Oboe/Oboe-Cabart a paris before1940

Few days ago I have bayed in suck of Tunis an oboe (model Cabart a Paris, made before 1940 I suppose) to degripping almost all the keys one these it is cracked and I need to substitue it. What can I do? Does some market exist where it is possible to buy a new key?

Dear Pier

I am sorry to tell you that there is not such a market for old oboe keys.
There are so many models and sizes that it would almost impossible to provide keys for all the old makes. However there are key makers who can help but I only know of them in the UK/

If you can mail the broken key to one of them they would be happy to make a copy of the key for you. I am sure that they would prefer to have the oboe as well in order to fit the key perfectly but you could try having one made to order without sending the whole instrument.

Here are a couple to contact:

Peter Davies
26 Briarfield Gardens, Dalton, Huddersfield. HD5 9JN UK
01484 533053
07975 662233

Nigel Salmon
4 Portelet Place,
Hedge End,
Southampton, UK
Hants, SO30 OLZ

Tel/fax   01489 788851
Mobile   07710423620

See what they say I am sure they will help if at all possible.

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed