Oboe/Oboe-Cabart a paris before1940

Question
Few days ago I have bayed in suck of Tunis an oboe (model Cabart a Paris, made before 1940 I suppose) to degripping almost all the keys one these it is cracked and I need to substitue it. What can I do? Does some market exist where it is possible to buy a new key?

Answer
Dear Pier

I am sorry to tell you that there is not such a market for old oboe keys.
There are so many models and sizes that it would almost impossible to provide keys for all the old makes. However there are key makers who can help but I only know of them in the UK/

If you can mail the broken key to one of them they would be happy to make a copy of the key for you. I am sure that they would prefer to have the oboe as well in order to fit the key perfectly but you could try having one made to order without sending the whole instrument.

Here are a couple to contact:

Peter Davies
26 Briarfield Gardens, Dalton, Huddersfield. HD5 9JN UK
oboepeter@gmail.com
01484 533053
07975 662233

Nigel Salmon
4 Portelet Place,
Hedge End,
Southampton, UK
Hants, SO30 OLZ

Tel/fax   01489 788851
Mobile   07710423620
Email  Info@BrokenWind.co.uk

See what they say I am sure they will help if at all possible.

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge