Oboe/Boosey & Hawke Oboe

Mr Bridge

As a student of yours many years ago I could not believe when I saw your name come up and had to send you a message.  I have a Boosey & Hawke oboe no: 34006.  I do not know how old it is but I have had it for at least 30 years.  Would you be able to tell me the value of this.  

Dear Sarah

I wonder which of the Sarahs you are!! Anyway thanks for getting in touch after quite a time. I was in the area two weeks ago. I played in Winchester Cathedral in the War Requiem and also visited a rather good South Indian buffet lunch restaurant in Civic Centre Road, the Art Gallery, Above Bar street markets and Bedford Place. What a lot of changes.
I now live in Scotland but still play in concerts even in England!! I haven't been in Soton for quite a while though.

Now this oboe of yours. It will probably be a Regent or a model 78 or something?
Do send me a couple of pictures if you can and I will help ID it for you. Send the pictures to my website address:

I look forward to seeing it. Do remember to tell me which Sarah and which school. I am curious!

Best wishes

Geoffrey Bridge

Professional oboist with many years experience. Former pupil of Leon Goossens. Solo artist for Arts Council of Great Britain. Freelance recitalist/broadcasting/orchestras. Former Head of woodwind teaching in Hampshire, England. Questions on repertoire, playing styles, reeds, cane selection and processing.

Royal College of Music, Aberdeen College of Education Licenciate of the Royal Academy of Music General Teaching Council certificate Broadcast solo recitals/performed with major symphony orchestras/Music Club recitals/writings on double reed matters

Treasurer/Advertising Manager and Trustee of the British Double Reed Society International Double Reed Society Association Hautbois Francais Southern Pro Musica Orchestra/Aberdeen Sinfonietta

Double Reed News/Australasian Double Reed Society magazine

LRAM, Cert Ed