Oboe/Buying a bundy oboe

Question
Bundy Oboe
Bundy Oboe  
So I have been thinking about learning to play the oboe for awhile. I am yet to track down a teacher but there is an opportunity for me to purchase a Bundy oboe (I don't know the model number-picture attached).

It is being sold for about 210 pounds ($320 AUD). Assuming that there is no damage or cracking is this a reasonable price to pay for this kind of oboe and is this a good oboe to begin on?

Answer
Hi Caitlin

Best of luck with your wish to play the oboe. Well done you!

The Bundy is a perfectly good oboe for your task. They are made by Selmer in the USA and are similar to other Selmer models intended for intermediate use. The range is a slightly limited by not having the bottom B flat but that needn't worry you just yet.
The price is good if it works well and DO get it checked by a player if you can, then go for it. In the uK an oboe of this type would sell for a bit more than that. Possibly up to 400 - 450. The good thing is that you could sell it on when/if you decide to go for something more advanced.

Best wishes

Geoffrey

Oboe

Geoffrey Bridge